NY Times: International / Europe
Rice, in Georgia, Calls on Russia to Pull Out Now
By ANDREW E. KRAMER and CLIFFORD J. LEVY
Published: August 16, 2008
As the secretary of state tried to fix a loophole that Russia could use to justify its advance, Russian armor moved within 25 miles of Georgia’s capital, Tbilisi.
Russia's recent behavior infuriates me. I had a conversation via email with a friend earlier this week. Here are some of my views on the conflict, not to mention China's treatment of journalists during the Olympics.
Friend: Hey dude, you know this whole thing with Russia vs. Georgia. Bush declared our whole-hearted support for Georgia. Do you think that could be interpreted as a declaration of war? Another cold war would be less than tasteful, in my opinion.
Me: It's not a declaration of war. Right now it's all moral support. When the missiles and troops start moving and Congress gets involved, that is when it becomes a war. I don't see that happening, but honestly, I would like to shove Russia back into their own country. What they are doing is wrong. They lied and said they were there to keep the peace between the Georgian forces and the separatist forces. Instead, they are there to obliterate Georgia, if possible, get Georgia's oil fields and access to the Black Sea, and to just plain tick the US off and show our government that Russia is, in the minds of its leaders and citizens, strong again.
Friend: Wow. You know being the most benevolent bully on the playground has its pros and cons. I would hate to see that happen to Georgia, and I think we should stand with them if it comes to that, but I would hate to see us get embroiled in a conflict like that. Especially with the Olympics going on. I mean, c’mon!
Me: I really think we should back Georgia. Can you imagine the US invading Mexico to support two rebellious states there? The idea is just ludicrous.
As for the Olympics, I love the Games, but am angry at China's behavior. China and Russia are from the same cloth. They don't do things based on values and principles. They do them based on power, self-interest, and money. I know the US is often accused of the same thing, but when's the last time you saw Russia or China actually help another country? The US is a bully some of the time, but honestly, the buck gets passed to us every time. The Europeans are weak. They don't stand up and defend anything. I must exclude the UK from those statements. Of all the European countries, they are the most willing to put their money and troops forward to stand up for right. I think a big problem with Europe especially vis-a-vis Russia is that they depend on the oil and gas coming from Russia's fields and so are hard pressed to make a firm response knowing that Russia has the leverage. All the more reason to fast track alternative fuel research and applications.
Back to China - have you seen how they've cracked down on journalists during the Olympics?! People breathe the word "Tibet" and they end up beaten and imprisoned, despite China's promises that the press would not be molested during the Games. The native Chinese journalists have it the worst as there is no other government to protect them and the one that should be only cares about maintaining its power and control.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment