Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Tebow's Super Bowl Commercial and Freedom of Speech

Tebow's Super Bowl ad isn't intolerant; its critics are

By Sally Jenkins
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, February 2, 2010

"Let me be clear again: I couldn't disagree with Tebow more. It's my own belief that the state has no business putting its hand under skirts. But I don't care that we differ. Some people will care that the ad is paid for by Focus on the Family, a group whose former spokesman, James Dobson, says loathsome things about gays. Some will care that Tebow is a creationist. Some will care that CBS has rejected a gay dating service ad. None of this is the point. CBS owns its broadcast and can run whatever advertising it wants, and Tebow has a right to express his beliefs publicly. Just as I have the right to reject or accept them after listening -- or think a little more deeply about the issues. If the pro-choice stance is so precarious that a story about someone who chose to carry a risky pregnancy to term undermines it, then CBS is not the problem." (italics added)

In particular, I liked this paragraph where she makes it clear that she disagrees with Tim Tebow, but supports his right to express his beliefs publicly.

2 comments:

KrizteeTrain said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KrizteeTrain said...

The publicity has more to do with Tebow than anything else. If I were on the ad during the superbowl, it wouldn't have made a big splash.