The gap between the pay of Big Three autoworkers and workers at foreign-owned plants is less than it seems.
I read this just now and thought it was good. At least it helped me see what the automakers have on their plate. No wonder they haven't been doing well. My family has definitely leaned towards foreign cars. My dad and step-mom own Subarus and a Nissan. I can't remember if Nissan's are foreign or somehow tied to Ford. Anyway, my mom and stepdad have counting my car two toyotas, a subaru, a ford pickup, and a dodge minivan.
Given the higher costs of the Big Three and the average American consumer's distaste for their product, these companies may not be able to recover. Nevertheless, I do think the jobs of their workers need to be saved, at least to get people through the winter.


1 comment:
I think currently there is a stigma with buying an American vehicle, their quality is fine now, but historically Honda or Toyota have been better. The real thing that I think is bad is the fact that American cars are just so ugly. Who wants to drive a Pontiac Aztec, or a Chevy Impala? They're just not good looking cars. Some of them look pretty close to the "Homer" that Homer Simpson designed for his brother. What bugs me though, is that no one questions the salaries paid to the people in the big Wall Street firms who have helped cripple the economy. Nothing was said to them when congress wrote a check for $700 billion. Now, because assistance to the auto industry at a fraction of what was paid to Wall Street can help unionized workers, the GOP raises a stink. It boggles my mind.
Post a Comment