Monday, December 8, 2008

Good news from India

Published: December 8, 2008
Throngs marched through Mumbai and other cities to condemn terrorism and proclaim loyalty to the nation.
I was heartened to see this in the aftermath of the attacks in India. I have met Muslims in Eastern Europe and Central Asia. They are not warlike and do not harbor terrorist plots. I realize that there are terrorists out there who claim to espouse Islam as their faith, but they are not representative of the vast majority of Islam's adherents. I am eager for mainstream Islam to assert itself and exercise some self-policing over its purported adherents who would throw principle to the wind and expend resources and waste their lives in destroying when they could be doing something constructive to build up others.

This set of thoughts and events has reminded me that I want to learn more about those who have sought to resolve conficts through non-violent means.

No comments: