Saturday, March 7, 2009

Legal Memorandum in Support of 12(b)(6) Motion to Dismiss

If you're thinking to yourself "Huh?!", then you know my pain for the last week or so. I turned it in this morning at 9:56am, just 4 minutes before the electronic submission deadline. We had to write one about some copyright claims for contributory infringement and vicarious liability. We did it using case law from the 9th Circuit as the Plaintiff brought the case in the Central District of California.

It's become clear to me that I stress over things I've never done before. I stress about them and don't really want to start them. Then at some point, my stress about the rapidly approaching deadline overpowers the fear of doing whatever the task may be incorrectly.

In the future, I definitely need to start sooner. Any recommendations for how to approach tasks you've never tackled before without getting overwhelmed?

2 comments:

Brady said...

Disregard for the results of said tasks.

Casey said...

Wow, aren't you on a blogging streak all of a sudden. Also, random that Brady commented on the same post . . .

I just remind myself that putting off things that are new just makes me a loser (you don't have to tell yourself that, but that's kind of what I think to myself). They've done studies with kids showing that kids who are used to doing well and being branded "smart" are more likely to procrastinate or pass up a difficult task for fear of not doing well, while kids who are told they're hard working go at it.

I try to make myself be more of the latter, even though I tend to fall in with the first group better.

Good luck!